I've moved! Visit my new site.

Momsoap is movin' on up, to a real dot com! Visit my new site at: http://www.momsoap.com Please visit my new site and re-subscribe if you like my writing. I hope to see you all there!

Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions, a year of good intentions

I'm going to be lame and write a New Year's post talking about my resolutions.

I'm a big believer in New Year's resolutions if for no other reason than it is a good reminder of all the things that I didn't do last year and that even though the scenery might have changed really the only thing that's changed about me is that I'm older.

For the past six years I've been resolving to practice French, the language I took in college and did rather well at. My plan was that if I practiced it slowly for years then one day when I became rich I could go to France and really soak in the culture instead of seeing it with tourist's eyes.

But I haven't done it. Matter of fact, anything I've learned has probably turned to mush and now I'll simply have to start over.

But that aside, in the past year and a half I've learned the importance of taking baby steps and this year I'm cheating and my resolutions are going to consist of things that I've already started.

I'm almost 40 (something I'm still coming to terms with) and I've realized that my life would have turned out dramatically different and many choices I made could have been made better if I had simply listened to that voice in the back of my head.

Some people call it intuition, some people call it instinct, some people might say it is simply common sense.

Whatever that voice is, I'm starting to listen to it. And I think it's working even though sometimes it is scary as hell.

Another thing is that I've recently realized that I'm a very anxious person. I've always had major anxiety about just about everything. Some people might say I'm strong because I've simply plowed through and done things anyway. My therapist said was I was repressed and impulsive.

Whatever the label, I'm starting to realize that it's not healthy to worry so much.

A few months ago I came to a realization that that other voice in my head was telling me to see things half empty. I'm not going to get into it here, because I have another post brewing in my head which I will post in the next day or two, but I have changed what that voice tells me. I've squashed that negative voice in my head. Well, squashed is an exaggeration. I haven't squashed it completely, because sometimes that voice has given me some good common sense advice that I've ignored. But there's one thing that voice has been telling me that has been steering me wrong. So I've changed what the voice tells me.

I better move on and stop talking about the voices in my head before someone decides to take me to the crazy house.

The last two things have to with health and cleanliness.

I've always considered myself a pretty healthy eater. Well, healthier than many, not as healthy as some. This year I've decided to add to my diet. I've resolved to attempt to get in the recommended daily servings (7-9) of fruits and vegetables.

And lastly, because it's one thing about my house that always bugs me, I've resolved to always make sure the hair around my sink is always cleaned up.

Happy New Year's everyone! 2010 is going to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Momsoap has moved. Please comment on http://www.momsoap.com. It'll help me transition and your comments will be forever linked to the post. Thanks for being a loyal reader. Psst, you're my favorite. Don't tell the others. ;)