I've moved! Visit my new site.

Momsoap is movin' on up, to a real dot com! Visit my new site at: http://www.momsoap.com Please visit my new site and re-subscribe if you like my writing. I hope to see you all there!

Monday, August 23, 2010

Part V: A Series on Attachment Theory, a summary of A Secure Base

And now, on to Chapter three of A Secure Base, by John Bowlby. Since I started reading this book, I am feeling even more certain that I have made a  good choice for Annika and myself when choosing to parent this way. It's not important just for her, but for me, that I parent this way. I am starting to see how my own childhood has affected my adult life and I want something different for Annika.

Chapter Three: Psychoanalysis As Art and Science:

Bowlby starts off this chapter by pointing out the distinction between psychoanalytic therapy and the science of psychoanalytic psychology. Quoting Freud, he notes that psychoanalysis was originally the name of a therapeutic method, but it has now become the name of the science of unconscious mental processes.

At this point you (reader) are probably yawning a little bit, and wondering why the hell I am boring you with this stuff. But I am anal retentive and I can't skip part of the book. If Bowlby thought it was important, by god, I am going to put it in here. But I might get a little creative for this section because quite frankly, after a few paragraphs of this I am seriously thinking about packing it in a watching the next episode of Breaking Bad, season 2 on my Netflix disc.

Okay, forward march!

Shrinks (psychologists) are even more anal than I am and they analyze the crap out of their patients before they start making a diagnosis.

Psychoanalysis is similar to that of a surgeon, cutting open and examining the mind. Even so, they are limited in the knowledge they can attain using psychoanalysis.

Scientists should be constantly skeptical of their own work and theories. But in putting their work into practice, one must work upon the notion that certain ideas and theories are accurate.

Scientists need to have faith. Yes, faith in the application of scientific method.

Some scientists believe that certain problems lie beyond the help or scope of science. Bowlby notes that neither he nor Freud were of this belief. Even so, any scientific practitioner should acknowledge that there are some problems that they will not be able to solve.

There are two roles that one can fill. Scientist and practitioner. A scientist strives to simplify. A practitioner deals with complexity.While these are two roles, they can be filled by one person. Theory guides the practitioner. Scientists must challenge theory. Practitioners restrict modes. Scientists employ every one that they can.

This feels like a good stopping place. And it wasn't nearly as boring as I thought it would be. It felt a little zen. I liked it. Two ideas, one person. Kind of like motherhood. You can be wild and crazy one minute, yet responsible and nurturing the minute your child walks in the door. Obnoxious and vulgar in a heated moment of road rage, and yet, soft and gentle with your child when she pees on the floor. Yin and Yang.

If you like this series, and want to catch up you can click on the tag cloud under Attachment Theory.

If you aren't crazy about theory and reading about psychoanalysis, just wait, I have some really cute pictures of Annika with her new doll sling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Momsoap has moved. Please comment on http://www.momsoap.com. It'll help me transition and your comments will be forever linked to the post. Thanks for being a loyal reader. Psst, you're my favorite. Don't tell the others. ;)