I've moved! Visit my new site.

Momsoap is movin' on up, to a real dot com! Visit my new site at: http://www.momsoap.com Please visit my new site and re-subscribe if you like my writing. I hope to see you all there!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Soul mirror


My daughter and I look nothing alike.

Physically.

I have actually been asked numerous times by strangers if she's adopted. The most interesting phrasing of that was by a third cousin's husband at my great aunt's funeral.

"How long have you had her?" he asked.

Had her? I didn't quite understand what he meant at first.

My answer, "She's a year old."

He then went on to tell me that he and his wife had adopted some bi-racial children.

Too.

"No, no, no, she's all mine." I said itching with irritation. "I carried her for nine months and went through 19 1/2 hours of labor to prove it. Although, I know, she looks nothing like me."

But I have been noticing lately that she is becoming more and more like me. Watching her is like looking in a mirror sometimes. She reflects back to me much of what I am. I see myself in her, and I see her in me.

For instance, she gets this look on her face when she is examining something very intently.

That's me! My inner voice screams with delight when I see that look.

"I get that look too! That's me! She does look like me!"

And also, the way she enters a new situation warily, and insistent that she examine every thing and every person before she gets comfortable.

That is also me. To a tee.

I have heard parents say that they see themselves reflected in their children.

I never really understood.

Having a child forces you to see yourself in a light that was impossible before becoming a parent.

Socrates said "An unexamined life is not worth living."

I spent years writing in my journal, going to therapy, meditating, hashing out my problems with my best friend, venting, examining, amateur psychologying....

Only to have a child and see so many things as clear as day.

It's nice to see myself in her.

Now.

It's cute.

I just wonder what it's going to be like when she starts yelling at the dog and screaming "Asshole! out the window at other cars while driving down the highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Momsoap has moved. Please comment on http://www.momsoap.com. It'll help me transition and your comments will be forever linked to the post. Thanks for being a loyal reader. Psst, you're my favorite. Don't tell the others. ;)