I've moved! Visit my new site.

Momsoap is movin' on up, to a real dot com! Visit my new site at: http://www.momsoap.com Please visit my new site and re-subscribe if you like my writing. I hope to see you all there!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Birthday magic

We just celebrated Annika's first birthday. It's actually tomorrow, but since that's Mother's Day we had her party today on the 9th.
I think it is every parent's responsibility to make sure that their kid's birthday party is well done and memorable, but most of all, make sure that the kid feels like it's a big deal.
The first few are dry runs since your child is not going to remember it. Afterwards, it's good to sit back, take notes and figure out what could have gone better, what mistakes not to make again.
And quite frankly, having a party for a one-year-old was a mistake.
I ran around all week buying food and a cake; cleaning house; mowing the yard; and just generally getting ready for the party.
Then the morning of the party, I spent most of it doing last minute cleaning and food preparations.
During the party I spent half the time talking to other parents and not focussing on Annika.
By the time the party ended I was exhausted and realized, too late, that I hadn't even fed her any of her birthday cake!
This party was a stupid idea.
I'm just glad she won't remember it.
Lesson learned.
The good thing is, I realized it.
Birthday's should be about the birthday girl (or boy).
I want to make sure that my daughter feels special on her birthday. And it's a good thing I have a few more birthdays to practice so I can get it right when she's old enough to realize what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Momsoap has moved. Please comment on http://www.momsoap.com. It'll help me transition and your comments will be forever linked to the post. Thanks for being a loyal reader. Psst, you're my favorite. Don't tell the others. ;)